I love my husband like CRAZY! It gets better every year. But, all relationships have their ups and downs. Sometimes it feels like a full on roller coaster. As I begin to get ticked off with the little things in marriage, small infractions get larger than life. That is when I have to catch myself, and make the choice to help diminish the problem instead of watch it escalate. Sometimes these things are harder to do than give birth, but I notice as I humble myself and TRY, my marriage thrives.
1. Wear toe nail polish, or at least change the shirt you wore to bed last night. It is so easy to be totally secure with the one you love. We are our total selves. They see our best and our worst. It is important to not get so comfortable that we neglect trying to be a fox occasionally.
2. Focus on the good. Instead of letting any negative attributes hold you down, think about the qualities that attracted you to him.
3. Connect with him on his level. What is his favorite thing to talk about? What is his passion? What is his favorite past time or sports team. Learn about his interests and be able to carry on a conversation with him about it. (Woo Pig Sooie!)
4. Extend grace. Everyone has those days. We can’t be 100% all of the time. So, he left his shoes out again-pick them up for him.
5. Have his coffee and paper ready for him in the morning. I know. I know. It sounds a little June Cleverish. That might not be his thing, but consistently do things that show him you thought about him.
6. Initiate you know what. I don’t think I need to expand on this one.
7. Always build him up privately and publicly. Talk about his awesomeness to him, your family and friends.